- Lesson Activity
- Critical Thinking
- Upper Primary (Year 4-6)
- Lower Secondary (Year 7-9)
- Senior Secondary (Year 10-12)
- 5-15 minutes
- Projector (with sound)
- Internet enabled device for students
Show the video 'I Still Call Australia Home' to students.
One of the best ways for companies to market to their consumers is to evoke emotion.
This is simply called ’emotional marketing’, which refers to marketing and advertising efforts that primarily use emotion to make an audience notice, remember, share, and purchase. Emotional marketing typically taps into a singular emotion, like happiness, sadness, anger, or fear, to elicit a consumer response (Hubspot, 2018).
With Australia and the world together once more, the latest release of the Qantas advertisement “I still call Australia home” takes flight to celebrate just how special travel is to Australians.
After watching the video, tackle the following questions as a class, or in small groups.
- What emotions does Qantas tap into with this video?
- In which ways do they evoke emotion with their audience?
- Who do they use in the video that’s familiar to their audience? How is this relevant?
- What imagery do they use that’s familiar to their audience? How is this relevant?
- What are they ultimately trying to achieve with this video?
In pairs, search for another video used by a company that uses emotional marketing techniques.
You could then show some of these videos to the class to continue the discussion on emotional marketing.
Here at Future Anything, we deliver staff professional development, student workshops and in-curriculum programs designed to support schools to deliver future-ready teaching and learning.
Get in touch and tell us a little more your school, and what you’re trying to achieve. We’ll work with you to find the best Future Anything enterprising thinking program to meet the needs of your educators and young people.