- Lesson Activity
- Creativity & Innovation
- Lower Secondary (Year 7-9)
- 5-15 minutes
- Projector with sound
This activity has students show innovative thinking about urban living.
Cities of the Future: The World in 2050.
What will the cities of the future look like? By 2050 the world’s population is expected to reach 9.8 billion and nearly 70 percent of these people are expected to live in urban areas.
This video from the Nick Maughan Foundation takes a look at some of the most sustainable cities which are currently under construction. From smart high-tech cities, to forest cities, it explores what urban life is going to be like in 2050.
Projects Included are- Liuzhou Forest City. Malaysia Forest City. Dubai Sustainable City. Masdar city, UAE. Self-Sufficient City, Beijing. Oceanix, BIG. New Clark City, Philippines. Amaravati, India. Net City, China.
Set up the Cities of the Future: The World in 2050 video (5 min 33 seconds)
Before watching the video, ask students:
- What aspects of city development and life do you think are the worst for the environment and why?
During the video, have students:
- Write a description of the three innovations that were discussed which impressed you the most.
After watching the video, have students:
- Explain why they chose those innovations.
- Do you think any of these could be applied to problems in the place you live? Why or why not?
Here at Future Anything, we deliver staff professional development, student workshops and in-curriculum programs designed to support schools to deliver future-ready teaching and learning.
Get in touch and tell us a little more your school, and what you’re trying to achieve. We’ll work with you to find the best Future Anything enterprising thinking program to meet the needs of your educators and young people.